Hi there, and welcome. My name, as you may have guessed, is Savvas Chatzichristofis (Σάββας Χατζηχριστοφής). I pursued the Diploma and the Ph.D. degree (with honors) both from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece, in 2005 and 2010, respectively.
Currently, I serve as an adjunct faculty member at the Neapolis University Paphos, School of Informatics. Moreover, I also serve as an Adjunct Lecturer at the “Department of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Informatics” of the Cyprus University of Technology. Before that, I was postdoc researcher for six years at the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CE.R.T.H.), Information Technologies Institute (I.T.I.).
During the past years I’ve been involved in several EU FP6, FP7 and H2020 Research & Development projects as researcher, technical scientific manager and co-coordinator. My research is mainly focused on Cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence together with their applications in the fields of Computer Vision, Multimedia/Multimodal Retrieval, Robotics, Optimization and Pattern Recognition (forensic and industrial applications). As of August 2016, I have 10+ years of experience on information technology, with emphasis on topics related to multimedia information retrieval systems and machine vision, reporting more than 60 publications in these fields. Most of my publications are available on-line, some with accompanying software, source code and datasets.
Additionally, as a computer programmer, I have developed several popular software tools for a number of fields including multimedia, information retrieval, information management and monitoring. Indicatively, I am one of the contributors to the LIRe library, the img(Rummager) project, the Houdini MC platform etc..
Over the course of my carrier, I have received numerous grants, scholarships and awards, including, the best paper award at the ICAART-2010, the best paper award at the ICCGI-2010 as well the best paper award at the EUREKA-2010 conference. Additionally, I was finalist for the IROS-2012 best video award.
Furthermore, I have served as reviewer for scientific journals in the area of artificial intelligence, image processing and multimedia (e.g IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Robotics etc.) as well as reviewer and member of program committees of several international conferences/workshops (e.g. IEEE IROS, IEEE ICRA etc.). Moreover, I have given numerous talks during conferences, at universities (as visiting professor), at schools and in the industry.
Outside of academia, I am interested in games, comics and Sci-Fi novels. I’m an Escape Room enthusiast and I travel around the globe to play 😉 In my free time, I write children’s books and short stories. My first children’s book (in Greek) is currently freely available here 😉
- 01-January 2017 – Visiting Lecturer at Klagenfurt University – Austria
- 21 December 2016 – Our paper “Dynamic two-stage image retrieval from large multimedia databases” is one of the 5 most highly cited papers published in Information Processing and Management [Read More]
- 15 December 2015 – Read an article in “Cypriot Scientists and Engineers” describing the NOPTILUS project and my contribution to it. [Read More]
- 14 October 2015 – Accepted journal paper (“REAL-TIME ADAPTIVE MULTI-ROBOT EXPLORATION WITH APPLICATION TO UNDERWATER MAP CONSTRUCTION”, «Autonomous Robots», IF: 2.066, Springer)
- 26 June 2015 – Accepted journal paper (“WHAT, WHERE AND HOW? INTRODUCING POSE MANIFOLDS FOR INDUSTRIAL OBJECT MANIPULATION”, «Expert Systems with Applications », IF: 2.240, Elsevier)
- 28 January 2015 – Photos from my visit in primary school in Limasol. Teaching “Robotics: Principles and Applications” to children aged 10.
- 01 Nov 2014 – Read an article in a local newspaper describing the NOPTILUS project and my contribution to it (in greek). [Φωνή της Πάφου]
- 19 May 2014 – Accepted journal paper (HOW SMART ARE THE SMARTPHONES? BRIDGING THE MARKETING AND IT GAP, «IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine», IEEE)
- 14 Mar 2014 – Accepted journal paper (“VISION-CONTROLLED MICRO FLYING ROBOTS: FROM SYSTEM DESIGN TO AUTONOMOUS NAVIGATION AND MAPPING IN GPS-DENIED ENVIRONMENTS”, «IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine», IEEE)
- 11 Sep 2013 – Accepted journal paper (“A MULTI-OBJECTIVE EXPLORATION STRATEGY FOR MOBILE ROBOTS UNDER OPERATIONAL CONSTRAINTS”, «IEEE Access», IEEE)